Help! I need a good business name
Ok I made the decision to go into business myself. And here’s already the first obstacle: choosing a good business name! Of course I could name my business after myself and keep it easy. Some say using your personal name adds credibility to your business. But to be honest “Sara Pieters” is not the most creative and unique name, you can think of.
So I asked myself the question if I could learn something from the corporate giants that have turned their names into high-profile brands. Check this presentation that did give me some primary inspiration.
And of course browsing the internet gives a lot of inspiration. There are a few places on the web where you can enter a couple of keywords and plug into a vast repository of used word parts. Push a few buttons and see what shows up on: www.nuttall.org, www.businessnamegenerator.com, www.company-name-generator.com, or www.netsubstance.com.
But that’s just not my style of working, so I prefer to address this issue in a structured way.
1. Brainstorm. How do you want people feel when they hear the name? Write down the most important words on a paper.
2. Associate. Begin associating and arrange the new ideas around the word. Hit the thesaurus and find all the synonyms for your words and phrases.
3. Associate more. Find more associations. Figure out what colors, plants, animals, etc., relate to your words.
4. Combine. Combine associations from one list with the other. Play with combinations of various words and partial words. And… don’t judge at this moment.
5. Reflect & prioritize. Review your list and just give some thought to each name. How does it make you feel when you hear it? Throw out any that just don't fit and make a prioritized list of the rest.
6. Communicate. Go over the list with your friends. Let them reflect on how each name makes them feel, and how memorable they think it is. Probably they will come up with new associations, new combinations and new names.
7. Vote. Don’t only go for the name you prefer the most, but also that your fellows, friends and future clients prefer.
And please give me a hand in this process! Don’t hesitate to send me your comments/ suggestions/ remarks/ preferences….